David L. Lawrence Convention Center
- David L Lawrence Convention Center is the largest Gold LEED certified green convention center. As a former Brownfield site, the redevelopment of the site involved removing six underground storage fuel tanks, a buried asbestos pipe and cleaning soil affected by a gasoline leak.
- The new DLCC was built on the same site as the previous Center where over 95 percent of the original Center was recycled by crushing it into useful fill material (53,228T). All materials used were evaluated for its impact on the environment.
- Fifty percent of the new building materials were manufactured within 500 miles of 1000 Ft. Duquesne Blvd.
- The suspended roof which provides column-free space required approx. 40% less steel than a conventionally constructed truss system.
- Indigenous plants for landscaping requiring natural rainfall were used.
- 75% natural daylight used in DLCC.
- 100% of 236,000 sq.ft. of hall space is naturally lit by skylights & glass curtain walls which reduces night time light pollution.
- Reflective materials reduce heat islands.
- Purchase a portion of our power from Pennsylvania wind farms.
- Naturally ventilated halls.
- Use of low or no VOC (volatile organic compounds), adhesives, carpets, fabrics and materials.
- On-site water reclamation system and aquifer accessibility.
- Use of water cambros for fresh drinking water.
- Traditional and non-traditional options available.
- g1(greenfirst) program
- Use of non-woven, laminated table covers.
- Donates leftover food to local charity.
- Use china and cloth, whenever possible.
- Purchase from the “Buy Fresh, Buy Local” program.
- Compost unconsumed food and kitchen waste.
- Grow vegetables and herbs on the DLCC’s rooftop terrace.
- Use biodegradable, compostable products including plates, flatware & paper ware.